Saturday, August 20, 2005

If you see me singing in the car...

Ok- After being tapped by BSC, here is the list of what I have in my car at the moment.

Toad the Wet Sprocket- Dulcinea

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Great album from a consistently good group that is no more. Glen Phillips went out on his own and i dont like it as much.

Ray Lamontagne- Trouble

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
I talked about him a few days ago, but he is soo good. When I first heard him, i was driving through Minneapolis, and really thought they were playing some forgotten Bside from 1973. "Jolene" is the best cut, i believe.

Rich Mullins- A liturgy, a Legacy, and a Ragamuffin Band

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
This guy continues to redefine they way I think abou God- he is so strong, lyrically and he really goes for interesting instrumentation in his songs- mountain hammered dulcimer? The world lost a lot when he died in 1997. His life is even more compelling than his music- he was one of the biggest stars in Christian music and lived on a reservation teaching kids music. Wow

Josh Rouse- 1972

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Not a great album, singer, songwriter, or musicican, but it is easy to listen to. Much better is "Nashville"- (2004)

Derek Webb- I see things upside down

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Again, great lyrics that make you think hard about the Christian life. This album is really concerned with what it means to be in a Christian culture that worships its own righteousness rather than showing the brokenness that God wants from us.

Ray- The Soundtrack

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Im not going to tell you I was the biggest Ray fan since forever and everyone else is a posuer, but i have loved Ray Charles for a long time. What I did not know until the movie came out, was how important he was to music and culture in America and that he did not ever record a song that I dont like. Now that is amazing.

I now tap Gsub and the Juice to tell us what is in their ipods at the moment. Thats about it- more to come- until next time, Buenos Noches, America!

2 Comments:

At 10:30 PM, Blogger kentbrantly said...

TJ,
I was just checking your blog for the first time in a week or two and I have to say that your last 3 posts have been quality material. I mean, this one is informative for sure. Anybody who has ridden in my car knows I need help when it comes to music selection. And the post about Ocho the polite arachnid... that's the stuff great blogs are made of. But then I read about your Friday morning car fiasco followed by the attack of the killer bees. (Makes me think of "Lenigen and the Ants") How the heck did that only draw one comment? I laughed, I cried, I winced in pain. I feel for you, man. Everybody is bound to have one of those days at some point, but no matter when they come, they stink! I'm glad you were able to share your pain with the world through the platform of your blog. Nobody needs to go through that alone.
I hope you and Holly are doing well. Dios les bendiga a ustedes, amigo.

 
At 2:36 PM, Blogger bscarter said...

It's funny, after all these years listening to people who've crafted their musical styles after Rich Mullins, I'm not sure I've ever actually heard him.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home