Friday, August 19, 2005

drinks blood, yet still polite

Holly and I have a guest. To be specific, we are subletting our front porch to a large garden spider. Usually, this would send me into spasms of fear and horror... and it did, at first.

You see, I am unaccountably terrified of spiders. I have no idea why. There is no traumatic incident in my past involving arachnids, and I am not, generally, squeamish about any sort of creepy- crawly. There is just something about spiders. They are so, so fast. They have eight legs. They wrap other things up in webs and drink thier blood. They have tons of little eyes to watch my every move.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

However, this spider is different. Every night, he sets up his web, stringing it across our front eaves, directly in front of our porch light. This in itself is amazing to me. He knows that the bugs like the light, so he builds a web in front of our light source, which is only sometimes on. Who knew the little buggers were that smart? Also- every morning, I come out of the front door expecting a face full of web, and find that he has taken his little shop of death down. Sets it up at night, takes it down for the day. Amazing! He is, literally, the most polite spider I have ever known. Charlotte would love this guy.

I have claimed him as our very own spider. His name is "Ocho, the polite arachnid", but just Ocho, for short. He will not change my mind about his cousins, but I can handle a spider that is considerate.

P.S- In researching Ocho, I have found that he is actually a "she", and that right now, she is looking for a mate. There is a 50/50 chance that she will eat her husband immediately after sex. 'Atta girl, Ocho!

6 Comments:

At 12:01 AM, Blogger Matt McBryde said...

Hahahaha, awesome blog! Good to hear from you. Played some old school Stephen Speaks for my youth group at Lake Cities while we were on Trek. I saw your response to Joel Quile who we just hired as our Senior Minister. We are very excited to have him.
I hope things are going well for you two there in Tennessee.
M@

 
At 10:43 AM, Blogger bscarter said...

The colored spiders are cool, I'm a big fan. We used to get ones in Mounds that were as big as my fist. Things were eating rats, and small children.

 
At 12:26 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I am also terrified of spiders, but I do think that I could live with one like Ocho. There's nothing wrong with a polite spider who understands his boundaries!

 
At 12:55 PM, Blogger LoriLoo310 said...

We had one just like that who lived in our garded in Tulsa for 2 years. She had one set of babies then died. We would find bugs and throw them into her web just to watch her work her magic. We unoriginally named her Charlotte.

 
At 11:34 PM, Blogger Olivia said...

Ok, I've never visted your blog, but I decided to check some out from Christine's list. I laughed out loud hard enough for my neighbors to hear at this wonderful story of Ocho. On a serious note, however, it is amazing what you can notice given time. There is a whole world we don't see and pass by every day. It is interesting, at least until you walk into the web and get a mouth full of slim and partially eaten bugs!

Olivia

 
At 2:19 PM, Blogger Michael Potthoff said...

TJ you may not remember me. I was at ACU and friends with Brandon Carter. I was a Pi Kappa guy. Just found your blog and wanted to wish you God's blessing in your music. It it a God given gift and you have always used it to his glory! Keep it up Brother!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home