Saturday, July 16, 2005

Look like Christ?


I am increasingly aware that I am a well- educated, upper middle class white man, trying to serve a homeless God. We are studying Luke and Acts, and talking about discipleship...what it means to be formed into the image of Christ. There have been several parts that have taken me a little off guard. Things like. "the rich already have their reward", and "sell all you own and give it to the poor". Jesus talks in some hard words... words that I have never really taken seriously. Maybe it is because I have some things now... some worldly possessions... a comfortable life that I enjoy...but i hear those words and cringe.
I am the rich young ruler. I can do all the stuff, follow all the commandments, but when it comes to allowing the Gospel to cause me to live in a way that is uncomfortable? No way. I mean, we are called to provide for our families right? I have to buy a house.. its a good investment, right? We have to live in a safe neighborhood, right? What if God provides for my family. What if we really arent supposed to gather up treasures on earth, like "good investments"? What if God keeps my family safe and I live in faith that He will?
I am not saying any of those things are bad. Just that I take for granted that it's the only way to live a life. You get married, you rent for a while, you buy a house in a cute neighborhood, you have a baby, you save for the baby's future, you work a job and "provide" with as much as you can...
Im just kind of questioning all that right now- Seems like all our Nashville friends are on the way to all of that, and there is nothing bad about it, other than we arent sure that its what we are really called to, as disciples. Am I really being formed into Christ's image if I look just like everyone else around me?
I have to believe that a Gospel so amazing and revolutionary would call me to something more than going to church on Sundays and giving my 10% (which we dont even really do right now, even). What if we are called to a life of sacrifice, like Christ. To die to ourselves, instead of continuing to feed our faces with our own ability to provide for our needs.
I dont know- thats the thing. I know there is a line somewhere that separates using the brain God gave you to live our life in a responsible way, and giving it all away and living like a hermit because our poverty becomes our pride. I just dont know where the line is. The thing is- when you ask someone about some of the harder things Jesus said concerning money... they usually tell you..."well, you know, he isnt talking literally... its all about the heart, you see." Which is true, but most of the people who will tell you that have money. There is a place for wealth in the Christian life, I have seen it- People who give away amazing amounts of money to great causes and bless others through generosity. So where is the line? How does the camel get through the needle- because it seems like, in our churches, lots of camels are getting through. Has the needle gotten bigger? Have the camels gotten smaller?
What do yall think? I dont want to sound too counter-cultural here, but i think the Gospel does call us to be different and look different and act different, and most importantly- put our trust in different things than the world... but i just dont see it im my own life. I look just like everyone else, and most christians look just like non- christians until it comes to Sunday morning. When do I start to look like Jesus? When does my life become strange and foreign to the world? Just some thoughts, i guess, but if I had to guess... some of yall are thinking the same thing. Any answers? Love yall- TJ

3 Comments:

At 11:27 AM, Blogger mattr_pinson said...

One thing that I had always been told concerning this type of thing is that we are to be "in the world but not of the world." I'm beginning to think that has more to do with us being in the world to serve, and less to do with loving Jesus, but still trying to blend in.

I feel you on these issues, they're tough. We are talking about those same things. Miss you guys.

 
At 8:49 PM, Blogger christine pinson said...

tj...this has been on my mind alot lately...and i don't think i have alot of answers, but i do know that i am right there with you on knowing that i do not do enough...alot of the time i do alot of talking about all of the things i need to do, and sacrifices i need to make...only to realize that i am mostly using those words to hide behind so i don't really have to DO any of those things...we are talking in church about courage and i know that i could definitely use alot more of that...thanks so much for your heart...i am glad you are getting back to blogging more...and we hope we'll see you when you're here in a few weeks...

 
At 9:03 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

the crazy thing is... its not about what I do, really. I am accepted as I am, and doing more good stuff doesnt change anything. Its about what he did, and what my response will be. if I have the heart of Christ- my actions will fall in line. BUt I dont.And they arent. So do I buy a house and stop paying rent or do I sell it all and move to Africa. Im not saying its one or the other, but it is really hard to see where the middle is. I feel like Ive already answered the question: "its not about what I do"... but I feel like that is too easy- shouldnt we start to look different than the world? or should we be super secret undercover disciples. (bond theme plays in the background...)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home