Monday, February 28, 2005

Miss McMuffin

So the Waco show was cancelled. At other times, in another universe, to another TJ McCloud, this would be a bad thing. A thing to fret over. Not this weekend. I had been out of town for two and a half weeks. I was ready to go absolutely crazy. Baylor called and wanted to reschedule the show- I was all for it. I have never been so glad to lose money before!
I played the last Abilene show (which went well, by the way), and packed up the next morning and got on the road to Nashville. Thirteen hours was nothing that day- I didnt tell anyone and just drove home, sounding sad on the phone with Holly but exploding in my heart because i knew that I was on my way to see her. Wow. Great feeling.
The Abilene shows were good. I felt bad for Tamara about the recruiting show- didnt have so many people show up... I have a prety good idea of how much they spent that night and I think that they expected more than fifty highschool kids to come. I had fun seeing everyone and spending time talking about my old alma-mater- but all in all- it was kind of a bust.
The second show was great- I played in the BeanSprout with Poor Rich Folk- lots and Lots of people there and a good number of CDs sold. that is always good news.
My sister and her best friend came with me to see the campus- i think they had a good time. They were a little tired the whole time- seemed like we just drove and drove and drove- but I think that they at least got a good look at ACU and what their lives would be like there.
OK- Saturday morning- My sis and her friend are staying in Nelson dorm- the girls they are staying with left for the night but they let them stay there alone. I get up- in a hurry to get back to Nshville and Holly- get to the dorm at the appointed time of 6:30am. No dice. No one there. I call my sis' cell- its is turned off. I call it again. still off. Hmmm. what to do.
I go into the dorm lobby and ask for the room's phone number to call the land line. There is this large girl sitting at the desk knitting, eating, and watching Japanimation cartoons- Dragonballz or something inane like that.I tell her the situation- my sis is in the dorm and I need to get her out- As I ask her for the number- she looks at me and lets me know that she doesnt approve of me. She's like nineteen. She gives me the number and I call- no luck. no one there- I call ten or fifteen more times and still no answer. Just Jordan's voicemail again and again. Ok. This is a help desk- surely she can help me.
I again let the desk girl know what is happening. Ask her if she could walk down and knock on 104 for me. Its like twenty feel away.
"I cant leave the desk- sorry." She goes back to watching and knitting and eating.
I am thinking- the desk or the egg mcmuffin...?
OK... so now what to do. I go back to the phone and try a few more times. Nada
Back to Miss McMuffin-
My name is TJ McCloud- Ill give you my ID or whatever- Ill watch the desk for thirty seconds while you go knock on a door.
"Im really sorry but i cant help you right now. "
Hmmm. OK.
I go out the the car- call my parents and get MP's friends' number- I call her cell... its off. I call Jordan's voice mail a few more times. TIck tock... I see myself gettting into nashville later and later. I just need to get the girls to Dallas and my parents will take them- then I can go HOME. This fat girl is now in my way.
OK- I go back into the lobby.
I tell her I am going to have to go wake the girls up if she cant go in there and do it for me. She tells me she cant let me do that. I ask her how she feels like she would handle this situation. She looks at me and says nothing.
You have crumbs on your chin. I wanted tosay it but didnt.
Can I hve the nieghbors number? 105 could knock on the door.
"Do youhave a last name? I cant give it to you without a last name."
She just gave me the other room without a last name.
I ask her what the dorm director's name and number is- maybe the dorm director will wake the girls up at seven and be happy about it.
She tells me that the dorm director is not in, but she would be happy to give me the number if I wanted it. At this point- I am wanting to strangle something.
I again explain the situation and ask her what she could do from the Help desk standpoint. What if there was a fire- would you wake up the girls, then? Would you leave your little japanimation, then? What if there was an emergency and I had to get the girls out of the room and cant get in touch with them.
Is there anyone who can walk down there and knock on that door? Anyone who can leave thier desk and do it?
This, apparently, was the magic question.
She looks at me as though I had solved the riddle and foiled her evil plan. She calls an RA.
NO ONE THERE!!!!
Is there any other RA that could do it?
She looks at me and burns her little beady eyes into my brain.
She picks up the phone and calls - Answer. Question. REsponse. hang up- "Shes going to knock on the door."
HallelujaH!!!! I won- I beat her! I won!!!!!
The girls were out in five and I was on my way. Only an hour late. All because I didnt know the magic words to get Miss McMuffin and her Japaniquilting butt into action at the HELP desk.
ACU- I miss you.

4 Comments:

At 8:23 PM, Blogger mattr_pinson said...

I hate mcmuffins. Why go mcmuffin when you can get a biscuit. Biscuits are way better. Anyone who would choose a mcmuffin is not to be trusted. You should have played her a song. "I've got all that I need, right here in the passenger seat, and the middle seat."

 
At 9:14 PM, Blogger Danny Sims said...

Man. What a shame. She could have had the breakfast burrito. Or The sausage biscuit and egg, even better. Glad to know you made it home. Travel has to kill yuo. Reminded of that Dan Fogelbeg line, "The audience is heavenly but the traveling is hell." Can I say that here? It is a quote... But I bet you can relate.

 
At 8:25 AM, Blogger The Future said...

I don't trust 40 year olds to get things done sometimes- what makes this 19 year old any different?

Poor ACU workers. What if she thought you were one of those stalkers? Remember those guys? Yeah, that was way weird.

 
At 3:17 PM, Blogger Brandon Scott Thomas said...

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHH I love it

 

Post a Comment

<< Home