Tuesday, February 22, 2005

The End (finally) of StephenSpeaks

Well, ladies and gentlemen, after seven years of fun, craziness, and being so mad I could throw up, StephenSpeaks is finally over for me. This is not something that came as a suprise- in fact, it is something I have been trying to get accomplished for a long time. Yesterday, Ryan Rockwell Ripperger signed a contract that says that I have no ownership or liability in the partnership that was StephenSpeaks. Basically, if anyone comes after him- they can't come running to me. I am pleased with this, not only because it protects me, takes care of a couple of legal questions that i had, but also because it puts the whole thing to bed for me. I dont ever have to be upset that (Rockwell) is still using the name StephenSpeaks because I just signed a contract that says he can. I still think it is a bad move for him, but I cant tell him what to do.
It is hard in some ways- I wrote most of those songs and sang them and performed them... it is wierd to think that someone else is now making a career off of covers of "Out of My League".
This contract means a lot to me- I have spent the last however many years of my life with the question of Ryan on my brain-knowing that we shouldnt work together, never knowing if I could trust him, never knowing if I am being cheated or not by "Rippley Records". All the horrible things this guy said about me on message boards and in emails... its all over. Nothing between us. No business relationship at all. Just old buddies who live in different towns. That is nice. I feel slightly warm feelings for the guy for the first time in years.
Ryan is a good guy. I still love him and in some ways consider him one of my oldest friends. We still, strangely enough, know each other pretty well. He just doesnt need to handle anything but his own life- and when we were in business together- well, we both were depending on each other and niether of us were dependable.
He is going to do well- he is talented and (i think) is a much better producer and engineer than a singer/songwriter. As for me- I'll keep doing this as long as I feel like it is heading somewhere- and right now, we are really getting to some good places with music.
It is good to have all this over and on paper and settled in our hearts. I am TJ McCloud- I can build a career on my own songs and name and image. That is so much better than running around trying to explain why Stephen is not at the show.
Today is Parsons, KS. A small town- I think the community college might be bigger than the town. Show starts at 8:00 and Ill come back after that and pick up Mickey Page and her friend to go to Abilene for the weekend. Should be a fun weekend- two shows in Abilene and some time to see Garrett and Jarod and the Pinsons and Alec and whoever else is around. Looking forward to it- wish me luck in Parsons- Love yall-

6 Comments:

At 1:53 PM, Blogger Josh said...

Good to hear about Rip. Glad its over. I will always support you, TBone. Let me know - hello to Holly.

 
At 2:35 PM, Blogger christine pinson said...

well thank goodness...but we all know that the real value of stephen speaks was not in the name...
anxious to see you this weekend, and the job you mentioned for matt sounds great...when can he start?!

 
At 3:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck in parsons !!!!

 
At 4:00 PM, Blogger Kate said...

We would love to come to your concert! When and where are you playing in Abilene? Good luck with the tour and I'm glad you can look toward the future without having to worry about the past!

 
At 4:12 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

kate & co.-
Thanks for the post- Ill be in abilene this weekend- Paramount recruiting show w/ Tamara on Thursday and BeanSprout on Friday @ 7:30. Love to see you guys there.

 
At 12:34 PM, Blogger Chad said...

Hey man,
I don't think you know me, but we have a lot of friend in common. I am Kate Stover's brother-in-law. Anyway, I hate to hear that Stephen Speaks didn't work out (don't know the details). But you have got my support. I still listen to an old SS cd every couple of months. I will check out your new stuff. Good luck.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home