Monday, February 14, 2005

The Only Man in Yankton, South Dakota

I am the only man in Yankton, South Dakota. Let me explain.
The night before last I played a show in Nebraska, just a few miles south of here. It was for a Community Kids organization and it was a blast. The organizers were cool- we got along well, and the kids all knew the music and we had a good time playing and talking to everyone all night. This bunch of highschoolers even asked me to come over to their house and watch a movie- made me feel pretty old- I opted for the pleasure of a decent bed and a call from Holly. They all went to the same church and invited me to come- so the next morning I went out and found this little community church. It was great- felt like family- everyone greeted and asked and invited... it was good. Things like that are seldom and far-between sometimes. I went to lunch with a family and they bought- I was riding high.
Just a short drive up the road to Yankton. The smell of Cows and the sound of the road are my only company on the road. No cars. I mean, none. Ok.
I pull into the Days Inn. Mine is the only car in the lot. Hmmm. That never means good things for the quality of a stay.. but in this case, I was wrong. It was fine. Just the only guy there.
After talking to Holly for a bit, I decide that I would go see a movie to pass the time. Boogeyman. I dont recommend it. I was the only person in the Mall where the theatre is. I was the only person in the theatre. No- not just where the seats are. I mean the whole building. Me and the ticket-taker, who was really excited that I was there. I watch the movie- shake off the chills it gave me, and head out to find some dinner.
Now, I have a weakness. Bad Chinese restaraunts. If I was Superman- General Tso's chicken would be my kryptonite. I see some generic chinese food place and think- why yankton? If I were an immigrant, I would not have chosen South Dakota for starting my chinese food empire... but ok. It was decent enough. Not exactly Evergreen (Garrett?) but it did what it was supposed to. I look around half way through dinner and realize i am the only person in the Lucky Dragon or the Happy Fun or whatever it was called. Me and the smiling owner- who is looking at me trying to decide if i like the food or not. I smile and raise a little chopstick toast to him. He seems satisfied and brings me the bill.
I go back to the Hotel. Still no one there. The night desk is even empty. Blade II is on TV for the third time since I have been on the road. Well.... ok. Why not? I watch it and talk to Holly and wonder if all the people just hide when they see me coming. I imagine that this would make a good start to a horror movie. The only man in Yankton. Well- the concert is tomorrow- and hopefully I wont be the only person there, too...
Today is Valentine's day, and I am a long way from the one I love... but Im for real when I say that it makes it easier to know how much love and support she gives me, not to mention all the sacrifices of time and money she has made to be married to a idiot like me. For those things, and many more- I love her so much... even when it feels like Im the only man in Yankton.

oh- and i found a great singer/songwriter that I like these days. Andy Davis www.andydavisonline.com check him out. If you like me- you'll like him too. TJ

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home