Wednesday, February 16, 2005

Lewis and Clark and Home

Got to Tulsa after about a ten hour drive- not nearly as bad as i thought it would be. Mostly two lane the whole way- there is not good road straight south from SD to OK. Ended up seeing a lot of the country, though... these small, one light towns are always interesting and always leave me wanting to stop and walk around the square- see who the town's founders are.
I also found that I pretty much followed the Lewis and Clark trail much of the way. That was interesting, just thinking about the landscape and what it must have looked like to them. Also- taking solace in the fact that I am making the trip about six months faster than they did. I would have liked to have my own Sacajewea along, though.( I mean Holly- not some Indian girl).
As I pull into Tulsa, I start to feel strange- that feeling that you are returning... I dont care where, really- but somewhere that you knew and now is in some way alien to you now. I had the distinct feeling that the skyline was not mine anymore. Wierd. Im not sure I can even say with any conviction that I feel like an Oklahoman anymore- Not that I am singing Rocky Top every morning, but in many ways- Tennessee is home for me now. It's where just about everything I care about is- My wife, my dog, my chances at a music career, my church. About the only things not there are my Parents and my friends from school. Any of you who have moved feel that way? It really took me by suprise.
Even being at home in Tulsa feels strange now- without Holly. Like a part of me is missing. I love to see Mom and Dad, and am excited to hang with MickeyPage- but "home" really is where Holly is for me. Felt like a visitor in my Mom and Dad's house. I guess that is the first time I have felt that way. Pretty cool, i guess. Strange, but cool. I guess it's normal? Does this mean I am turning into a real- live adult?

Also- couldnt sleep and looked around the other blog pages- man, there is some stuff on there to give one pause about the future of the human race... I had no idea when i started blogging that I was entering into such a world full of screwball people. I mean, half the stuff on these pages I cant make any sense at all out of. On the flip side- Looking around these pages really reminds me that there are so many people who are broken and crying out for someone to help them. My first reaction is to point and laugh at these freakazoids- I think Jesus would probably let his heart break with theirs. Glad that Im a broken pot too- just wish I remembered it more.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home