Wednesday, February 23, 2005

At least I got paid...

Labette County Community College is not the place to have a concert. Drove up to Parsons, KS last night for the 8:00 show. It is only about 2 hours from Tulsa, so I left in the early afternoon and got there at four oclock. Along the way I tried to call the Campus activities person several times to let her know that I was on the way and see where they wanted me to stay tonight. No one home. Left a message and figured she would call me back. I call a few more time to see if I can catch her- nada.
I get there, look for the little road green sign that points me to the College, walk on campus, search for the campus activities office, find it- its locked, lights out. No sign. No other campus personnel can tell me where to check in. OK- not a big deal.
I drive down the main drag a few miles and start checking at different hotels and motels if I have a reservation.
Labette Cottage Inn (please, no).... never heard of me.
Kelsey Motel....never heard of me
Best Western .... nope.
Finally, the Super 8 crests the hill and I stop in to find my home for the night. Bingo- they know me and they have wireless internet access. Thats what I like to hear. I take a shower, watch CNN and get ready for the show- expecting a cell phone call from this lady at the school- nada.
I drive up to the school, notice on a flyer with my picture that the concert is actually in the campus theatre, find the theatre, open the doors, turn on the lights, and start to unload my equipment. At this point I am wondering if the lady has forgotten about the show...Hmm
Show is at 8:00- it is 7:15. They are supposedly providing sound. I set up all my gear and sit down at the piano they have backed up on the stage, and plunk around for twenty minutes.
She finally shows up at 7:40 and has a wrestler lugging a Fender Passport P.A. that he sets on the stage and leaves for me to figure out. She says about three words to me- Hi- "glad you made it"... maybefive words.
I set up the sound system while she goes and does something... i dont know-
I sit back down and wait for 8:00 to roll around. No one is in the theatre. Just me and the lights.At this point i am hoping no one shows up.
7:59... No one but me. The organizer rolls in at 8:10 and says--- well... i guess you can go!
In walks one of her other organizer buddies- and a student I met in the hall and invited- i think she might have been a student/janitor.
I mention that I can sit and play a few songs if they like- I hate to take their money with no singing at all- so we sit down and i play four songs and then pack up and leave. She forgot my check but I can pick it up in the morning.OK.
For this- I missed Scrubs and Committed. Oh well. Get home early- call Holly and talk for hours and hours while she organizes the closet and I watch silent CNN.Thank you Cingular family talk. Small pleasures are the best ones.
Today I just drove home and packed up for Abilene. Taking my sis and her best friend down for a little recruiting action. She will be a Wildcat yet, you just wait and see...

3 Comments:

At 10:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

TJ you are unbelievable! Only you could get a check for nothing! Really, you got payed for a concert that didn't exist. This means you are one up on concerts verses paychecks...oh wait, nevermind you've been screwed by ACU before havn't you. Keep on truckin'.

 
At 8:56 AM, Blogger The Future said...

I would put that in my contracts, TJ- "If performing on a Tuesday night, the campus must provide a video of the unwatched Scrubs and Commited."

That stinks man- people in Kansas wouldn't know talent if it came up and smacked em in the face.

 
At 9:13 AM, Blogger mattr_pinson said...

Idiots...You should have pulled some of the illegal ninja moves you learned from the government... Sorry I am stuck on Napolean Dynamite quotes, kind of like the rest of America. Can't wait to see you this weekend. Sing pretty at ACU.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home