Saturday, March 05, 2005

Radnor Lake

I love Radnor Lake. Let me tell you why.
I am one of those guys who loves the outdoors but never actually does anything in it. Im not a hiker (although i like to think I would be). I am not a hunter (again, i think of myself as a good potential hunter). I am not a climber, jogger,runner, mountainbiker, or fisherman (that one hurts- i really think i am a fisherman, who just doesnt get to fish alot.) Most of what I do outside involves walking from my door to my car, or being paid to cut and trim someone elses outdoors for them.
BUT- there is a place... a magical, wonderful place only a mile from our house in Nashville. Right across the street from our church, there is a natural reserve/ state park that is very well maintained- about three square miles of lake, trees, hills, trails and wildlife. You can go for an hour or a day. You can walk along the pedestrian road with your dog or hike the trails along the ridge. From the top you can see Downtown Nashville.
For me- a place like this is heaven. I can go there with little to no preparation, get my wilderness/wildlife fix, and get home before whatever reality TV show(s) are on that night. Holly walks there during her lunch break. I walk there with the ever-impossible-to-walk-with Dante. We see snakes and owls and fish and muskrat and deer and birds and squirrels and all other kinds of woodland stuff.
We just got back from such a walk with the In-Laws. They came in for the weekend and we are spending the day doing Nashville stuff. BTW- is it rude to sleep in your own bed and put your in-laws on the aerobed? They didnt seem to mind, I dont know- but I slept well last night- hope they did.
We woke up this morning and had omelettes a la TJ- then went to Radnor- and came home to rest and change before heading out to Hillsboro Village and Downtown. We are going to eat at this great BBQ place tonight called Judge Beans'- all Texas beef BBQ that is sooo good. Almost like Abilene. They have the place decorated in all TX memorabilia- lots of UT stuff and anti- Aggie stuff all over the walls. It's fun.
Not sure Tennesee could pull off a TN themed restaurant... The Hillbilly House, maybe... complete with racoon sandwiches and possum soup.?
Anyway- good day today- glad to see the in-laws, even if holly is still trying to get over the flu/stomach bug.
Another boring, amazing day in Nashville... Good to be home and with Holly again.

3 Comments:

At 11:39 PM, Blogger Clarissa said...

We were given a piece of unsolicited advice early in our marriage -- NEVER give up your bed. Decided that was a good idea, so we never have. Nobody stays with us much, either.
Hmmm ...

Oh, and Holly will be glad to know we got our carpets cleaned today!!! (Not sure how that's on-topic, but there it is.)

 
At 8:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

tj!,

it was good to see you down in montgomery, deep-fried alabama, although it was like a month ago. i just happened upon your blog, and if it's all well and good i'm linkin' ya. come see us down here again sometime. john gordon certainly doesn't mind paying for ya!

in Christ,
david oleksaaka lee stewart, old school acu '99-'00

 
At 7:15 PM, Blogger Josh said...

got your comment on my dark-on-dark text in my blog. wierd...have not heard any other stuff like that. maybe try again...

and reading this entry makes me think of camping at the illinois river. we may not have been grizly adams, but we sure were grizzled when we left. good times, good times.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home