Wednesday, March 09, 2005

More Coffee and Homelessness

So I am Homeless again. This is a common feeling for me. Since I travel so much, and only sometimes have a hotel room waiting for me, I often feel like I have nowhere- nowhere to sit and read or talk on the phone or write music or whatever. It is an interesting feeling and one that makes me lonelier than i like to admit sometimes.
I guess my car might be considered home- or even "homey"- especially since it is so messy, but truthfully, it doesnt quite do the job. Something about four walls and a bed make you feel like you belong there, if only for the night.
I got up this morning from the Sheraton and had a late check-out. I love late check outs, cause it delays the amount of time you spend looking for somewhere to kill time before your show that evening. I turn in the key card and head out to the car. A pint of milk from the gas station and the cereal I brought with me is breakfast/lunch. I sit, munching on "Kashi GoLean Crunch", listening to Rush Limbaugh, and looking at a map of Ancient Greece that I brought with me. (The books I have been reading are set there- Pressfield's "Last of the Amazons" and "The King Must Die" by Mary Renault. ) After draining the tupperware container of leftover milk, I pull out of the parkinglot and head to the nearest movie theatre(er). It is connected to a Mall and doesnt open until 1:00, so I walk around and browse the empty stores. 1:00 rolls around and I elect to see "The Jacket", an indie film with Adrian Brody, Kiera Knightley, and Kris Kristofferson (love that guy). Not a good choice. Kiera went topless in this one and I have to say... it made me really mad. I love Kiera, and have seen just about everything she's been in- did not want to see her sans-clothes. Its like seeing Sandra Bullock or Meg Ryan naked. Girls you love on screen but don't think of like that... No reason for it. The movie was pretty slow and confusing and kind of depressing-(as all indie films seem to be).
Get out of the movie and browse through Barnes & Noble- found a place to listen to any CD eve MADE... wow. I spent three hours there listening to the entire catalog of my favorite artists. Van Morrison, James Taylor, John Prine (new favorite),and a bunch of folk artists that I had never heard of. some good stuff- nothing remarkable.
Left there and moved on to another coffee shop to check email and drink another Chai. So here I am. It is owned by some east-Africans who are very nice and let me just sit here all evening on the computer. I felt obliged to buy another drink after an hour or so, but truthfully, it is a small price to pay to feel connected- connected to Jonathan's hospital room in NYC, connected to Fuller in Grand Rapids, connected to Holly as I bug her to death with emails- the show is at 9:30 tonight and then I am done with MN for this spring. Hopefully.
After the show tonight I am driving back to Chicago to step on a plane and meet Holly, Brandon Carter and his wife Lori in Las Vegas!!!! I am so pumped. he and I havent seen each other in about a year.. and Lori set this up as his Bday present. I have no idea how to gamble, but we are going to blow every bit of our $20 or come away with millions. I feel it. My game will be roulette... or craps... Or maybe I just have to go to the bathroom.
Wish me luck- TJ

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home