Friday, December 17, 2004

Holiday Happiness

Well- like some of you know- I love the Holidays. I love the weather. I love the friends and family. I love the commercials. I love the presents. I love the food. For me- Thanksgiving to NewYears really has become the pinnacle of my year. But this was not always so. I used to hate the holidays.
There were really several reasons for this. One- it was hectic. We had, growing up, several branches of the family that were usually pretty close- so it was always, at least for my selfish teenage brain, cleaning and hurry and traffic and travel and stressful- not to mention the holiday performances. Yes- for those who dont know- I was in the monster of an extra-curricular activity we like to call ShowChoir. (Also known as "Show-Queer") At several points through the year, myself and eleven other misguided youth would don sequined vests and bowties and sing and box-step the new year in with an extra helping of yuletide cheese.There are pictures that I have tried to supress. I mean, we got down.
Christmastime was the worst. We performed at every corporate dinner, nursing home, and church luncheon in the city, it seemed, all for the joy of doing it. I have to admit- I did enjoy it. At that point in my life- as now- i would do anything to be in front of people. But what it really did was kill my love for Christmas music and quashed my Holiday spirit. I didnt realize it at the time, but as I now have some time and perspective on these events... i know that had I continued in that vein- Christmas might have been lost on me. Now I would probably love to do it- minus the sequins- but then- I think it was just too much. Yuletide overload.
So, now.. as Christmas represents a break from the song-and dance routine and a great excuse to eat sugar cookies, I love it. I love the chance to take a breath and enjoy the people I take for granted through the year. Maybe my dog and I will bond... (he hates me- loves Holly. go figure.) Maybe I'll get the Return of the King extended version...(Holly are you reading this?) And finally- maybe, just maybe I'll make some time to thank God for the amazing life that He has blessed Holly and I with. Love you guys- Merry Xmas, yall. TJ

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home